Saturday, February 27, 2010

Venice!!






The bay with lots of street artist street venders




Alright Everyone I'm sorry that it always takes me so long to get a new post out, but frankly keeping up a blog is not as fun as I thought that I might be. Not to say that I ever thought it would actually be fun to sit down and write everything down, but you know what I mean. But part of my motivation today is that I want to see if I can beat Emily at posting about our most recent trip.

So as the title of this post describes, Emily and I decided to go to Venice over our weekend (wednesday and thursday). We hustled through our rooms on Tuesday and were able to get on the road by 3:00. It is about a five hour drive from Garmisch to Venice. Side-note, I'm very thankful to have a car here. Anyways, driving through Italy was very pretty. About every 10 minutes I would spot a new castle up on some cool hillside. The best one was situation on the edge of these cliffs and it had a vineyard going down the back side of it. For those of you that don't know me very well, I have always been kind of fascinated with castles for some reason. When I was little, there was a book at the library that I would always get that told you all about castles and in the back of it, it showed you how to build a castle out of toilet paper rolls and popsicle sticks. Awesome.

We parked my car at a parking garage in Mestre ( the town just outside of venice which is way cheaper). From there we hopped on the train for a seven minute train ride across the water to the islands of Venice. We got of the train and walked through the train station towards the exits. Nothing was impressive at this point. However as soon as we walked through the exit doors of the train station everything changed. About 30 meters in front of us was the Grand Canal with boats trolling by and all the buildings were lit up by the night lights. Emily and I both kind of stopped and were like "whoa". Pretty awesome first impression. Our entire weekend was awesome. Basically just spent the entire time wandering around and checking everything out. I love all the canals and took a lot of pictures of them that I will try to upload. I loved just about everything of Venice. I am definitely a water person, so the idea of a city that is built on top of small little islands and people use boats to get around is pretty much perfect for me. I don't really know all what to tell you what we did, because really we just did a lot of wandering around trying to see everything that we could and just enjoyed the atmosphere of everything.

Getting back home on Thursday was a little bit more interesting than we had wanted. A friend of ours who had recently just been to Venice told us that we could get cheaper American gas on the way back from Venice at the Aviano Air Force Base. It was about an hour out of the way, but paying American prices per gallon is alot better than paying Euro prices per liter. We got to Aviano which the base is huge, but we couldn't find the gas station. We went inside the commersary to get some snacks and then asked one of the workers where the gas station was on base. She replied that there was not a gas station on base. Awesome. After getting over our initial shock and disbelief of our situation, we attempted to make our way back home. To make a long story short, the route from Aviano to Garmisch is very confusing and very indirect. Our 5 hour drive home took 10 hours. But in the end we made it home safely and had a awesome weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What great pictures! I can still remember getting off of the train and being right there facing the canal. It was early afternoon and the sun just glistened on the water! I am so glad that you got to go. Your pictures are wonderful - very artistic! I'm sorry you had such an incredibly long trip back; yet I am really thankful you found your way back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sweet pictures! Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally beat Emily. Mostly because your posts included pictures. Glad to see you had fun and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete